Thursday, October 06, 2005

Buenos Aires classic vehicles

I am not a fanatic about classic cars but i know what i like. I think it started when my grandmother would ride me around in her 1936 Studebaker, a great silver-gray chariot with a sloping, chrome grill, headlights mounted prominently on sloping silver-gray fenders, horse-hair upholstery, a back seat area suitable for football games, and, most impressive of all to a small boy, a footrest mounted on the rear of the front seat that could be lowered up and down like a kneeler in church.

There are quite a few classic cars, trucks and other interesting forms of transportation in Buenos Aires. The predominant auto model seems to be old Ford Falcons. While I've had plenty of opportunity to photograph the Falcon, for some reason, I never have. Without bothering to get into arcana, I thought I'd offer a few of those that have caught my eye.

For starters, a classic Valiant...

Example

(more)


A classic old Ford pickup keeping company with a classic old Mercedes...

Example

What can you say about this VW bus, decked out to look like a dog. I regret that I didn't get a photo of the rear which sported a tail. The sign in the window says it's for sale.

Example

About the only place you'd see a bus like this in the U.S. these days would be in a junkyard.

Example

A little bonus with the bus picture is the "Route U.S. 66" sign on the wall of the building in the background.

Example

Quite a few furniture movers have their offices and live along Avenida Forest near Federico Lacroze and Fraga. Here's one of their trucks.

Example

I've passed this car countless times on my walks, it's always parked in the same spot, and doesn't seem to be driven very often. I've noticed, however, that the owner tends to shine it up in the warmer weather.

Example

Here's a close-up of the logo on the hood and a shot of the rally sticker from the back window.

Example

And, last but not least, my favorite, the Citroen Charleston, obviously a well-cared for vehicle.

Example

4 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Alexis said...

Cool... I love all the old cars! Especially the dog car. :)

Interestingly enough, Venezuela (at least Merida) was chock full of Ford Falcons, as well - usually in use as taxis.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger profmarcus said...

falcons in argentina are almost all in use as private autos... taxis tend to be peugeots, renaults, and vw's - a high percentage of which are gnc (propane) powered... gnc, in fact, is in wide use in argentina, particularly in buenos aires... i know that you told me that gasoline in venezuela is dirt-cheap...

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger claus said...

hello, i was born in recoleta and live in belgrano. i love to be a tourist in Buenos Aires, because it has a lot of places to visit.. and i'm always discovering new ones..
'Auto Union' is a car made in Argentina, in the fifties/ sixties(when Peron was president) is with the 'Torino' one of the few argentine cars

By the way, your blog is great
if i can be helpfull when you were in BsAs, just let me know.

che boludo! un abrazo

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Tedj said...

Say ProfMarcos, I don't suppose you could link me up to this site too?

I'm probably gonna move this one into teh section "Wise Ones" on my blogg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.